Summer Reading = Success
Summer reading is a great way to maintain skills while encouraging students to find the joy of reading. For our summer reading program here at Prairie and at Overland, students will need to choose one book from the grade level that they will be entering in the fall of 2012. We have arranged many ways for you and your child to obtain the book that he/she has chosen. Please select the option that best fits your family.
- Go directly to Barnes and Noble on May 25-28 for the Barnes and Noble book fair. (A percentage of your purchase will benefit Prairie’s Language Arts Department.)
- Go to the Barnes and Noble’s website bn.com/bookfairs from May 25- June 2 and enter ID 10769545 when checking out. (A percentage of your purchase will benefit Prairie’s Language Arts Department.)
- Visit your local library and check out the book.
The book your child chooses needs to be read by the time he/she returns to school in August, because there will be follow up lessons in their Language Arts class.
- Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins
- How To Steal A Dog by Barbara O’Connor
- The Underdogs by Mike Lupica
- Chains by Laurie Anderson
- The Uglies – Scott Westerfeld
- The House of Scorpion – Nancy Farmer
- The Maze Runner James Dashner
- The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- Roll Of Thunder Hear My Cry by Mildred Taylor
- Tunnels by Roderick Gordon and Brian Williams
- The Ear, The Eye, and The Arm by Nancy Farmer
- Standing Against the Wind by Erwin Raphael McManus
- Crank by Ellen Hopkins
- Little Brother by Cory Doctorow
- Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah